Learn the Top 5 Causes of Dry Eye
Dry eyes are not something you should ignore. Having dry eyes is a condition when your body does not produce enough natural tears to adequately lubricate your eyes, which can impact your vision. Visit Optics&EYECARE in Ashburn to determine if you are living with dry eye syndrome, and get relief fast.
The Top 5 Causes of Dry Eye Syndrome and Contributing Factors to this Condition
1. Your age. Age is a contributing factor to dry eye syndrome. If you are over the age of 40, you should have annual optometry exams to assess persistently itchy eyes and to receive an evaluation for other age-related conditions, like cataracts.
2. Your medical history. Certain diseases, including thyroid conditions, diabetes, lupus, and arthritis could be causing your dry eye issue. Keep your optometry provider apprised of any medications that you are on, even over the counter. Some medications, like antidepressants, blood pressure pills, birth control, and antihistamines, could be causing your dry eyes or exacerbating dry eye syndrome. Talk to your doctor to learn more.
3. The climate. Do you live in a dry, arid climate? The wind, weather, and humidity level could all be contributing to your situation. Humidity can also cause dry eyes. Too much humidity in the home can speed-up tear evaporation which can lead to dry eyes.
4. Your habits. Your lifestyle could be behind your dry eyes. Some habits put you at a greater risk of contracting this condition. For example, smokers are more at-risk than others of contracting dry eye syndrome. Also, if you have worn contacts or had corrective eye surgery, your odds increase for developing the disease.
5. Screen-time. The time that you spend sitting in front of a screen, such as your computer or television, may also be contributing to a dry eye problem.
Regular eye exams can detect these symptoms early, using a dry eye test. Treatment options for dry eye offer relief and alleviate the severity of symptoms in most instances.
Do You Live With Dry Eye Syndrome?
Banish your discomfort and eye irritation with a visit to Optics&EYECARE in Ashburn at 703-687-4719. Relief is just a phone-call away!